Infertility, Our Infertility story, Surrogacy


December 4, 2012

We are super happy to say that we are finally making progress with our surrogacy journey.  Our clinic wanted us to do the counseling part first and we’ve been doing slowly trudging our way through all of the requirements since September.  Three long months later, we are finally finished! Yippee!

It doesn’t sound like it would be that cumbersome, but there are a lot of steps involved and the counselor is in another city — three hours away for us and one hour away for our surrogate.  I guess if you lived in a large metro area, this wouldn’t be a problem.  There’s only one person qualified to do this work in the state of Virginia that I’m aware of and that’s the person we used.

Also, we had to schedule some of this around my surrogate’s husband, who is in the Navy.  That seemed daunting, but was not too bad.  I was really worried in the beginning about getting this done ASAP before he could possibly be deployed.  Luckily, that didn’t happen.

What we had to do

First, our surrogate had to do a phone interview with the counselor.

Then, she had to go and do a personality test.  All of these things took time because my surrogate had to get a babysitter and drive across the state to do this.

Then, we had to wait a week for results. This is where things got interesting.

She failed! 

I wasn’t too happy about this. I didn’t come all this way, only to be stopped by a darn test.  Ok, so she didn’t really “fail” but because of her answers on one scale it couldn’t be read.

I should also mention that I failed this same test many years ago while in college as part of my application to work at Barnes & Noble.  I didn’t get the job. So, this test and I don’t get along.

So, she had to go back and take another similar test.  Then, we waited another week.  This one, she passed!  Thank goodness.

Next came the interviews.  The counselor met with my surrogate one-on-one, then another day met with her and her husband.

Finally, after some scheduling snafus, we had the final meeting between all four of us and the counselor.  It went great, mostly because we had already discussed pretty much everything that came up.  And, the counselor let us know that we were cleared to proceed.

After waiting pretty patiently for three months, we can finally get this show on the road.

Next up…the legal agreement.  I have already given all of my documents to the attorney and hopefully this will take 3-4 weeks.

Resources + Connect

You Might Also Like

  • Lindy

    YAY!!! Ever forward, no matter how slowly. Your baby sure is taking his/her sweet time 😉 I’m so glad y’all are making progress. Hooray!!

  • Marisa

    Thanks for sharing all of these details. It’s helpful for others to know what the process is like. I’m glad things are moving forward for you guys and have my fingers crossed for a smooth road ahead!

  • Heather

    That’s fantastic. Here’s hoping the rest goes smoothly.

  • Connie

    What a wonderful update! I am SO happy for you all. Praying everything else goes smoothly. =)